In this Cultural Studies Course, you will study the music, movies, books, fads, fashions, social media, and other types of mass culture that shape our 21st century society. You will critically think, write, and discuss these phenomena from the position of cultural consumers. This course will train you to recognize how culture influences the way you think, feel, experience relationships, and live your life.
Course Essential Question: How do elements of pop culture help shape modern American society? How is pop culture a reflection of our collective values and beliefs as a society?
Selected Lessons & Activities
- Research Historical References in the movie Forrest Gump.
- Decide what is "culturally significant."
- Describeshow your topic is portrayed in the movie
- Give essential historical background information on your topic
- Explain how this topic is important to or affected American Culture