The Reading Intervention Program
* The Reading Intervention Department adopted the Leveled Literacy Intervention Program by Fountas and Pinnelll this year.
* Students receive daily supplementary small group instruction for 30 minutes (all students receive core instruction as well)
* Low student/teacher ratio to maximize student success (4:1)
* Flexible entry/exit into the program
* Structured and systematic framework for instruction:
Carefully designed sequence for phonics/word study
Explicit teaching for reading fluency and comprehension
Engaging, specially written and sequenced collection of leveled texts (both fictional and informational for all grades and levels)
Systematic assessment, progress-monitoring, and record-keeping
Home Connection: take-home books for students to share with their families
* Students read real books everyday about a variety of topics (2 re-reads to promote reading fluency and 1new book daily).
* Each grade level kit comes with books that reflect appropriate grade level interests.
* There are several book series with beloved characters as well as many informational books with beautiful illustrations. Most students have currently read more than 100 books in each reading group (students are reading books 70-100 in grade K).