• Problem solving in Nome Public Schools

    When problems, concerns or complaints arise regarding the School District, its practices or personnel, there are processes in place to help facilitate the resolution of those issues. School Board Policy 1312 governs the complaints process, and it is addressed in the Parent Student Handbook, in the Complaints Concerning Schools sections.

    Often when we are concerned about our children and their education, emotions run high. The District believes conflict can and should be dealt with in a respectful, timely manner. To promote fair and constructive communication, every effort should be made to resolve a complaint at the earliest possible stage at the local level. Often, by just asking for an explanation or an accommodation, a situation can be resolved.

    Oral complaints

    The first step in resolving a problem is addressing it with the person or people involved. If that is not possible or successful, address the problem with the immediate supervisor in the setting in which the concern is raised. If the problem is in a school, contact the principal or assistant principal. If the problem involves a principal, contact the Superintendent using the phone numbers listed below.

    If a resolution is not achieved at the school level, contact the appropriate District department:

    • Federal Programs and Instruction, Megan Hayes - 907.443.6197
    • Human Resources, Cynthia Gray – 907.443.6192
    • Business Office, Genevieve Hollins - 907.230.2169
    • Superintendent, Jamie Burgess – 907.443.2231

    If a concern involves a special education student, contact:

    • Mary Donaldson - 907.443.6208

    If a concern involves student transportation, contact:

    • Morgan Enterprises - 360-451-1662

    Written complaints

    A written complaint form E1312, is available online as part of School Board policy. Written complaints regarding District personnel should be filed with that person’s immediate supervisor. If the complaint is against a principal or District administrator, the complaint form should be filed with the Superintendent. If the complaint is against the Superintendent, the form should be filed with the School Board President.

    Instructional materials
    If a complaint involves instructional materials, a concerned staff member, district resident, or parent/guardian of a student may fill out and submit a Citizen's Request for Reconsideration of Instructional Materials, available online. The form should be submitted to a principal, and the complaint will be considered by the Instructional Review Committee. The committee will make a recommendation to the School Board, which will make a decision whether to allow or remove the material in question. More information on the reconsideration of materials process is available in School Board policy, section 6161.1.

    Appealing disciplinary decisions
    If a parent/guardian or student of legal age wishes to appeal a disciplinary decision resulting in a suspension of 10 days or more, (s)he may fill out the Request for Reconsideration form, E5144.11(a), available online as part of District policy, and submit it to the school principal. More information on the appeal process is available in the Parent Student Handbook in the Discipline section, and School Board policy, section 5144.1.